A day in the life of .. In Memory Of (3rd May 2000) - #marketing #inmemoryof

During the Internet boom of the early 2000s small independent companies not only had to deal with the new medium of 'online business' but had to learn how to deal with the media, who were  hungry for news and intrigue.

A lot of these new business struggled to cope with the instant pressure of global attention. Time zones disappeared and TV and Radio interviews could happen anytime of the day. These early pioneers of the Internet worked long hours and many of them crashed and burned.

During these early days the rules of online marketing were written. 

Below is a section from the diary of In Memory Of from 3rd May 2000
  • 7.45am: Turn the computers on in our Worcestershire office.
  • 8.00am: The Financial Times prints an article about us which prompts Mike Sergeant, from Sky News, to ask for an interview with us in South Ealing, London.
  • 9.30am: Collect a new batch of postcards from our local printer and approve artwork for new leaflets.
  • 10.30am: Collect Mark and drive to London.
  • 11.00am: Park the car and have a telephone interview with Bill Mouland from the Daily Mail.
  • 1.00pm: Stop the car again and organize a radio interview in Worcester for 10.00pm.
  • 2.00pm: Arrive at location for filming.
  • day2.jpg day1.jpg
  • 3.00pm: Leave London and head back up the M4 to the Midlands.
  • 4.00pm: Stop on Motorway for a cup of tea and a large breakfast (first food of the day).
  • 6.00pm: Arrive back in the office and sort through emails.
  • 7.00pm: Watch the news item on Sky News.
  • 9.00pm: Set off for the studios of BBC Hereford & Worcester.
  • 9.45pm: Wait in studio to be connected to London for a live interview on BBC Radio 4.
  • day3.jpg
  • 10.25pm: Leave radio station.
  • 12.15am: Get back to office. Check emails and reply.
  • 12.45am: Turn computers off and leave office.
  • The next day in the life of InMemoryOf  (4th May 2000) …
    To cut a long story short, it began at 6.45am and ended at 12.30am on the 5th of May.
In Memory Of is a service to help the family and friends of somebody loved and lost to express their feelings in a lasting way.
Established in 1999 In Memory Of received worldwide TV, radio and media coverage. In Memory Of was set up to provide a new and unique service, enabling people to express their feelings for their loved ones using a memorial and obituary tribute facility.

Place A Memorial This service is free

William Henry Wilkes

gwwila1.jpgWilliam was in the South Staffordshire Regiment during the First World War. His pleasures in peace time were fishing and bowling, for which he won many prizes. He was a founder member of the ‘Lickey End Working Men’s Club’.

He spent the majority of his working life at ‘The Austin’ car factory in Longbridge, Birmingham. ‘The Austin’ had a tradition of building good quality, solid, British cars.

The newspaper clipping left is of workers from the plant being collected from Lickey End, (a village situated just north of Bromsgrove  in Worcestershire) in an open top lorry during the bus strike of July 1957. William is the one seated on the far right in the flat cap and glasses.

The Internet has been around for such a long time now - it has its own history and fashions and like the real world fashions come back again...